First Amendment & Newsgathering
Our lawyers take the words of the First Amendment to heart. We fight for reporters, and we stand unapologetically against censorship in all its forms. We are in the trenches with the clients we advise, helping to ensure their safety whether they are engaged in a domestic police ride-along or on location addressing violence and humanitarian crises around the globe.
- Public records battles at the state and federal levels
- Aggressive anti-SLAPP litigation to vindicate free speech rights against sham challenges
- Counseling with reporters and editors on reporting methods, hidden cameras, and undercover investigations
- Protection of confidential sources and source materials
- Defense of claims alleging intrusion upon seclusion, reporting of intimate private facts, and commercial appropriation of name and likeness
- Newsroom training in lawful investigative techniques